First, this new color scheme is significantly less labor intensive. The original coloring of this page took several hours, while the new color scheme took about one hour.
Second, I believe this new color scheme is more interesting than the original, in that the original was fairly representational, the colors used more or less corresponding to what they might be in real life, and draws attention away from the form, particularly the inking. The new, more expressive color palette emphasizes the inking. Furthermore, as the person who is actually doing the coloring, this color palette is more interesting to work with than the original one.
I came across a still from Jason and the Argonauts, which is a movie that had a profound influence on my formative years. I’d recommend seeing it for the Ray Harryhausen animation alone. So here’s my process.
I started with pencils.
Then I moved onto line work.
Then I added some spot blacks
And followed by some ink wash.
And finally I added a color layer and adjusted the levels in Photoshop.
I was going to document this step by step, but I was so enthusiastic about drawing my dad with the Fez I got him for Xmas that I forgot to document each step properly. I may go back and play with this image further, but for now it’s done. This is an ink wash and brush pen team-up with a little photoshop color tint.
In my continuing journey through heavy shadow, I have drawn some brawny bots.
I had two goals in drawing these bots: first, the robot on the left has a level of detail that I usually illustrate with line work, but I wanted to try to delineate details with light and shadow rather than line. And second, the robot on the right has a simple enough design that I could get a little playful with my highlights.
Whoo-ee! Another long absence, eh? Sorry, folks. I’ve had a lot of pots boiling, and frankly still do, but it’s time to update everyone on at least something that I’ve been up to.
My friend from grad school (I never tire of saying that) is putting together a comic anthology of “unfortunate fanfic”, or hilariously mismatched combinations of genre. For example, “Old Boy Pokemon” is something you might see in this anthology.
With another friend from grad school, I did “Boy Meets Knight Rider”, a combination Boy Meets World and Knight Rider. Here’s a page sans text.
My friend and writing partner is putting out the first chapter of his comic, and I have done the cover for him. He gave me a lot of artistic freedom (but not a lot of time), so I went with the cover of the classic EC cover that so enraged Frederic Wertham and other 1950s denizens.