Always interested to try new rendering techniques, I have been playing with the saturation on some of my illustrations in Photoshop. I started with the goal of moving from purely black line work, and that has led me into some interesting territory.
Additionally, I’ve been playing with various methods of applying midtones. In the examples that I have provided, I used a mixture of halftone dots, mezzotint, and pointizing.
Greetings, friends! Today I would like to blame my lack of posts on several back to back projects that took most of my time in the last two months.
My first project is called Kentucky Killzone, and I am working on it with my friend and colleague Eric Wong. He’s a great writer and I’ve been having a ball working with him. The premise of Kentucky Killzone is very similar to Die Hard, but it tells the story behind the “Bowling Green Massacre”, which is a fictional terrorist attack fabricated by that news anchor Kellyanne Conway. The issue that we finished is like a pilot episode for more adventures! Here’s the cover and a sample page:
The other project that I’ve been working on is a non-fiction piece for the Project Censored 2017 Book, which I worked on with professor and author Adam Bessie. Ever since I assistant taught a class on comics journalism, I’ve been enthused about collaborating on an editorial or journalistic comic, and lo, my hopes were realized. Adam’s an incredible writer and I look forward to working with him in the future. Keep an eye out for Project Censored’s 2017 book.
The premise of this piece is the nature of alternative facts in the Trump administration and how they parallel certain SciFi tropes. Here is a sample page:
Since I’v been drawing so many astronauts and astroscapes, I thought I’d throw back the curtain a little and explain my process. I have skipped the penciling stage in this post, but, faithful readers, if you would like to see that stage, I’d be happy to oblige.
I had originally applied a wash directly to this piece, but I took it out when I decided to apply a wash digitally.
Here’s the astronaut sans wash.
This is the wash that I did on a separate piece of bristol. Once it dried, I used a brush to splatter white ink over it to resemble stars.
I touched up some of the shadows on the astronaut. I also tool parts of another wash to create the “depressurizing bolt” emitted from the astronaut’s cracked helmet. In the future, I’d like to ad another tone to the astronaut’s body, and maybe add some planets.